Road Trip Acadia – Atlantic Coast is a summary of an idea that had turned out pretty well despite of very little planing ahead of time, without reservations or with only last minute, one day to the next, plans and reservations. An idea for an Acadia Road Trip through eastern Quebec, Maritime provinces of Canada and a state or two in the USA was put together here, less than two weeks before voyage have begun.
Along those 3,796 km (2,359 miles), squeezed into only two weeks, a lot of stones were left unturned, paths and trails unexplored and towns unseen, unfortunately left behind for some other time, but a lot of those we stopped at made our days, have created everlasting memories and have taught us a lesson or two, just as all discoveries and experiences encountered along the way.
Some of those moments were captured on photographs and videos that were shared in part on social media networks but in a full extend are published or will be published on our website and linked to from this two page summary. If you don’t want to miss future posts from this road trip and some more, find in the sidebar; “Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email“. Thank you!
14 Day Road Trip Summary – Days 1-7
[+] will open a link in a new TAB / also symbolizes a link to one of the future posts
Day 1 – Sunday
The same evening drive to town of Lévis – Hôtel L’Oiselière Lévis [+]
– shortens at least 30 minutes the all day drive planed for the day two, since town is located on the south shore of the Saint Lawrence River, opposite Quebec city, and particular hotel is right next to Trans-Canada Highway (#20), one we’ll be taking in the morning.
Day 2 – Monday
750 kilometers (470 miles) long drive from Lévis to Percé village
- An amazing scenic route along the Saint Lawrence river [+], especially after the town of Rimouski
– with a few stops it took a bit less than 10 hours to reach the end of Gaspé Peninsula and Rocher percé
- After a long all day drive, and thinking that we have arrived late to get a few nights of glamping at one of the campgrounds, we quickly chose a room for a night at Manoir de Percé [+] with the view on Rocher percé
Day 3 – Tuesday
Day 4 – Wednesday
420 km (260 miles) or around five hours long drive from Percé in the Province of Quebec to Village Historique Acadien, in Bertrand, in the Province of New Brunswick
- Leave very early Percé (QC) to arrive at least around noon at Acadian village [+] (NB)
- Keep in mind that there is one hour time difference in between EST and New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island – Time zone is GMT-4
- To fully explore Acadian village you need a minimum of 4-6 hours. Knowledgeable Les Acadiens are hosts in every object and you’ll need all the time you have to absorb every detail, way of life and history of Acadia and Acadian people century or more ago.
- Overnight in New Brunswick
Since we had no reservations and there was no last minute accommodations waiting just for us anywhere near Acadian village, we drove 130 kilometers (80 miles) south to town of Miramichi and crashed there over night in one of the hotels.
Day 5 – Thursday
180 km (112 miles) long drive from Miramichi to Hopewell Rocks in the Bay of Fundy, on the route 126, through Moncton, takes around 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Hopewell Rocks [+]
Day 6 – Friday
Day 7 – Saturday
15 km (10 miles) from Cornwall / Charlottetown KOA campground to Charlottetown, the capital of Prince Edward Island, and later on 50 km (30 miles) or 45 minutes to Point Prim Lighthouse
32 km (20 miles) or 25 minutes long drive from Point Prim Lighthouse to Wood Island and 45 minutes long ferry crossing to Caribou Island in Nova Scotia [+], followed with a 180 km (112 miles) or close to 2 hour long drive to a hotel in Dartmouth.
– due to the afternoon and evening rain showers, we stayed in and had a great dinner at the Best Western Plus Dartmouth Hotel & Suites – credit to chef and great staff at the hotel who went above and beyond our needs to accommodate our requests.
Road Trip Acadia – Atlantic Coast – NEXT Seven Days (8-14)…
* all the times listed, as well as distances, except the total of 3,796 km (2,359 miles), are approximate, rounded up numbers, and do in some cases and do not in other, include added time due to traffic congestion, detours due to road construction, or making a wrong turn, just as here and there detours made to restaurants, gas stations, shops, etc.