Getting web site online with one of the publishing platforms isn’t challenging task as it may have been for a novice designing a web site in the 1990’s. Possibilities are endless and publishing platforms today had advanced so much that weeks or months of work just a decade ago are squeezed by almost anyone within a reasonable time frame, what may depend on complexity of a project, available options out there, tools and choices you make.
Part of our series on establishing online presence…
With that said we chose to introduce you to one of the publishing tools that had grown quickly into one of the most popular around the World. Reason may be simplicity of installation, fact that is easy to use and maintain, available many add-on features, countless free and premium Themes for probably every taste and use, open to customization and unbeatable fact that it can be downloaded at no charge – free.
The best of all, after installing it you become an admin who will choose appearance – Themes, widgets, plug-ins, create pages, categories, write, add photos, videos etc., when you want & whatever you want.
Bellow you’ll find few pointers about WordPress, a publishing platform that since 2009
Baburek.co is also powered by.
Meet the WordPress
If your choice for publishing platform is the WordPress then you have two options:
- Use it on http://wordpress.com and have a free Blog, or
- You get a hosting service (monthly or yearly fee), download the WordPress, install it under your Domain name and do with it whatever you want
Download, install, run WordPress
- Download the latest version from http://wordpress.org/download/
- Unzip it on your local computer
- Log-on to your server, and create one MySQL database. Remember to write down (to text editor of some kind): database name, database username, database password, database host since you’ll need that info in the next step.
- In downloaded and unzipped WordPress folder find the script named
wp-config-sample.php, make a copy and rename it to wp-config.php. Now, open it in the text editor, such as Notepad ++ and enter required database info from the previous step. Once done, save file.
- Upload the scripts to your server using FTP software (assuming that you already have set up FTP access to your server)
- Once upload is finished, if you choose to upload it to a root directory then go to www.Your_Web_Site.com/wp-admin/install.php and follow the instructions
- That’s it folks! That wasn’t hard, after all, it’s done exactly as their The Famous 5-minute install for WordPress said so.
- In the future you’ll also need to know about Upgrading WordPress
To your successful publishing!